There is a light dusting of snow on the branches outside my window.
A pair of cardinals flit about in the tree, flashes of color piercing the dull gray day.
I’ve watched the cardinals all winter and heard their calls.
I know them; They have been my companions.
Recently, I’ve noticed the songs of other birds, the harbingers of Spring and Summer.
I am filled with hope but then the wind shifts and more snow falls and I am left with only one thought -
“Stupid fucking birds”.
This poem was supposed to be a consolation prize for my lack of blogging this week but I am a horrible poet so it’s not much of a prize. Oh well, it’s the thought that counts, right?
It has been a very busy week which partially explains why I did not blog. Somehow, I did find a few minutes here and there to do a bunch of other things that were not blogging and working on my book-like thing. So, I thought I would do another list of Things I Did This Week When I Should Have Been Writing!
I now present this week’s Top 10 TIDTWWISHBW!
- Ate a peanut butter cookie in bed.
- Went to Galit’s house to cast the Listen To Your Mother Show (announcement coming soon) and ate soup and spinach and M&M’s and hung out with her dog, Louie.
- Went out with a friend for coffee and had a double shot of espresso late in the day and then couldn’t sleep and spent most of the night convincing myself that I cannot write and wondering if I should put in an application at Subway.
- Applied at Subway. (No, not really).
- Wrote about same-sex marriage. Again.
- Made a casserole from the original Moosewood Cookbook and traveled back in time to 1990. Woke up with an Indigo Girls hangover and a strong desire to discuss the nutritional merits of brewer’s yeast.
- Tracked sharks on the daily. My new favorite Great White Shark is Mary Lee. She is heading to the Bahamas! Save me a place on the beach, Mary Lee!
- Took a lot of really long showers – the kind that use all the hot water and then someone (like maybe a partner) comes up to you after and says “I’m going to take a shower” and you say, “I used all the hot water but that’s okay because you are tough and I like that about you.”
- Felt nostalgic about my pre-teen appreciation for Styx and watched this video.
- Talked to the artist mentor through my Beyond the Pure grant about procrastination and discipline. He dropped some wisdom on me and then told me that I needed to figure out why I procrastinate. Then, I figured it out – fear. Still thinking about that and still procrastinating.
I will leave you with the following video because the peeps…they are coming…