Stream of Consciousness Sunday: A Desk

I met Jana at the NonCon in Atlanta in October and am not sure how I’d never crossed paths with her before then. I’m glad that the blogging fates brought us together though because I need more people with whom I can discuss candy and the evil intentions of the Keebler elves. Jana does a thing called Stream of Consciousness Sunday which seems tailor made for my little gerbil brain. So, I decided to give it a go today. The basic idea is that you write for 5 minutes and do not proof or edit. Here is what came of my very first SOC Sunday.

I have a desk now, a writing place. I’ve never really had one. I usually write while lying on the couch which makes me feel kinda lazy if I’m honest. It makes me feel like I am just doing a little something instead of the big something that I really hope to do which is to put meaningful words down in print. ┬áSo, we finished moving Luisa’s workspace down to the family room and cleared out her old, small desk and now it is mine. If you open the door that was originally supposed to hold a giant CPU, you will find paper and printed copies of a very old manuscript. My expandable file folder is in there now – it contains all the printed drafts of the essays that I hope will make up this book that I am writing. It makes me feel a little bit more like a writer, even thought it shouldn’t matter at all. But I have a desk. And piles of my writing. And a new chair. And it makes me feel something…something that is just out of my reach to explain. This is the first thing I have written in this new space but I hope it won’t be the last.

15 Responses to Stream of Consciousness Sunday: A Desk
  1. jana
    November 25, 2012 | 3:45 pm

I’m HONORED that you chose SOCSunday to write as your first at your new desk! It’s a lovely space and I’m sure beautiful things will come from it.

Side note: How our paths haven’t crossed before NonCon, I don’t know. IT’S A DAMN SHAME, too! xoxo

November 25, 2012 | 4:22 pm

Now that we have been introduced, the Keebler elves best be watchin’ their backs.

2. Rachee
    November 25, 2012 | 4:51 pm

Nice!
    I often write on my couch but agree that there is something about writing at a desk that makes it seem so official.

November 25, 2012 | 7:48 pm

I write on the couch too. I’m still going to write on the couch at night :)

3. a.eye
    November 25, 2012 | 6:27 pm

Congrats on the writing space! How cool. I just lounge on the couch or the bed. I’m sure I might feel more productive or writer-like if I had a desk.

Good luck as you keep writing!

November 25, 2012 | 7:47 pm

I usually sit on the couch too. I’m hoping the desk has magical powers.

4. Nichole
    November 25, 2012 | 6:42 pm

That’s a lovely writing space. I write sitting on the couch. I’m not dexterous enough to write lying down. I’m also not sure if “dexterous” means what I think it means, now that I’ve used it in a sentence.

(This comment brought to you by The Society for Stream of Consciousness Commenting.)

November 25, 2012 | 7:32 pm

I love your new space. My space in my dining room table which is like an island in our home with the sharks(kids)circling.

6. erin margolin
    November 25, 2012 | 7:41 pm

I love Jana and her SOC linkups, too!

And? I’m glad you have a room of your own—to write. That is a very big deal. I wish I had a real desk/closet/spot to call only mine. I might be more productive there.

;-)

xoxo

7. Anna Hettick
    November 25, 2012 | 8:12 pm

Glad you joined in! I LOVE SOC, it’s been a life saver for me. Love your writing space. I usually am on our desktop (no laptops, yet) or I will occasionally write on the iPad if Mr. Right is wanting to watch a movie with me, he rolls his eyes at my multitasking. :)

8. Alison
    November 25, 2012 | 8:23 pm

The part about sitting on the couch writing and feeling lazy? That’s me. I’ve been envious of my husband and his study where he can shut the door and just do whatever he does in there. While I lie on the couch and do whatever I do here.

You have a lovely desk!

9. Jac
    November 26, 2012 | 1:26 pm

I am very pleased to see a set of Brio Networkers on your desk :)

Oh, and congrats on the zone and all that!

10. Shosh M
    November 26, 2012 | 1:58 pm

It is so important to have your own space. I have a corner in the living room, but it never seems enough. There is something empowering about taking ownership of space when most of our lives are given over to others.It’s also empowering to put words down at SOCSunday. Welcome.

November 26, 2012 | 10:52 pm

I love your new space, and can’t wait to read what’s written there!

12. Megan
    November 27, 2012 | 11:42 am

I read this whole thing as one long sentence, in one breath, because that is how I always read SOC. I need to do this…

I *pph* my desk. Makes me feel official too.